Sunday, October 10, 2010

Welcome and Canned Myoga

Hello and Welcome to my new blog. I have decided that since I am always cooking interesting things here in the cold north of Japan, I ought to put up my recipes and perhaps give some other people some cooking ideas.

I really enjoy canning foods. I love the idea of being able to make something that I can save for the whole year and enjoy. Today's post is about myoga.

Myoga is a sort of Japanese ginger. Its actually the flower bud of the plant. My mother-in-law happens to grow it in her garden, and she gave us a whole big bag of it. I decided to make pickled myoga.






This is my cleaned myoga waiting to be put into jars, and canned using the follow recipe:

In a saucepan add the following and bring to a boil:
2 cups Apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup Water
3/4 Cup Sugar
1 Tbsp Pickling Salt

Put the whole myoga into sterilized canning jars, to this add
2 tsp Mustard Seed
1/2 tsp Red Chili Flakes

Use chopsticks to remove the air bubbles, wipe rims, cover, and process in hot water bath for 10 minutes.




Let cool on the counter. If you sealed the jars well this should keep for up to one year.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment