Friday, October 15, 2010

Pickled Aomori Garlic

Today I was looking in the fridge and I noticed that I still had a big bag of garlic from my mother-in-law. So I went in search of something interesting to do with it. We usually keep some fresh garlic around when its in season, and otherwise store it peeled in the freezer. Since the freezer bag of garlic is full to overflowing, I decided to make some pickled garlic. I found an interesting recipe online, but since it was for making a full 5 jars, I divided it by four, and made one full jar, with a little extra in an old jam jar for the refrigerator. This way I can see how it tastes without opening my only jar.



Ingredients:
2~3 heads of garlic, enough to fill a jar with a little extra just in case.
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp White Vinegar
1/4 cup Dry White Wine
3/4 tsp Salt
3/4 tsp Sugar
3/4 tsp Dried Oregano
1 whole dried chili for each jar.

As always, while you are preparing all this, get your hot water bath boiling with the jar(s) you are going to use it in. You can sterilize while you prepare the garlic.

Prepare your garlic by peeling it, you can pour bowling water over it, following by putting it in ice water if you are having trouble getting the pesky skins off.

Combine the vinegar, wine, salt, sugar, and dried oregano in a sauce pan and bring to a boil for 1 minute. turn off the heat and add the garlic. Stir rapidly for 1 minute.

Put garlic into jar(s) with the dried chili, pour the brine and fill the jar until its about 3/4 inch from the top. Carefully bubble, wipe the rim, dry the lid and screw on tightly, process in a water bath for 10 minutes. The finish jar can be saved for up to a year.

Your garlic may change to an interesting green color due to a reaction with the brine. This is nothing to worry about, it doesn't affect the flavor.




My garlic unfortunately has that rather strange green color to it. It sure smells good though. I am looking forward to trying it in a few days.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It came out pretty good. I tried one the other day and it was still pretty garlicky. I really need to wait around two weeks for them to be fully pickled. But its good. Once its pickled more I will probably add it to salads or just eat it as a snack.

    ReplyDelete