Friday, October 22, 2010

Simple Pickled Hot Peppers

As fall begins in full force I have come across big bags of hot peppers at the super market for only 100 yen each. I decided to use this to make some simple pickles. I figure that the peppers will be great to use in pasta sauces, and the vinegar base would taste pretty good as a condiment.

The brine is really easy, bring the following to a boil in a saucepan:

2 Cups Vinegar
2 Cups Water
2 Tbsp. Pickling Salt

Because I wanted to keep the taste of the hot peppers as strong as I could, I didn't add any spices.
Cut your hot peppers up as small or as large as you want. I included the seeds in my pickles for that extra punch. Pack your jars tightly, pour the boiling brine into the jars, wipe rims add lids and process for 10 minutes in a hot water bath.






I am looking forward to enjoy the fresh pepper taste later in the winter when such things are but a memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment