Thursday, November 25, 2010

The strange things I do in Japan

Living in Japan is basically a lot of fun, but sometimes it's really hard to get certain baking supplies, either they don't seem to exist, or they are far too expensive. I am really lucky that I have some friends who are in the military who sometimes help me out with flour and stuff from base when they have free time. But it's not always so easy...

A while ago I decided I really wanted to try my mother's applesauce muffin recipe. Unfortunately it called for oat flour. As you might guess there is no oat flour in Japan. So I bought oats.





And then I put them in a blender




And the result was very interesting. In the future smaller batches would be the way to go. I tried to grind two cups at once, and the result was a sort of half flour half oats mix. It was okay, my muffins ended up tasting pretty decent. I will definitely do it again.

2 comments: