Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Pickle Relish

Last summer one of the teachers at one of my schools gave me a big bag of green peppers. I was going on vacation in a couple of days and I knew they wouldn't keep, so after searching the internet for a while I found a recipe for cucumber pepper relish at the site Food in Jars. The recipe was pretty close to what I wanted, but I changed it a little to match what I had around the kitchen for spices. This is what I came up with.






I made a small batch. So I used this:
1 cup of peeled and chopped cucumbers
1 cup of chopped green peppers
1/2 cup of finely chopped onion

I boiled this in 1 cup of apple cider vinegar until the vegetables were cooked down. I drained them and returned them to the pot.

I added:
1 cup vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp Mustard seed
1 thinly sliced chili pepper

I boiled this for an additional 5 minutes, then put into the jar, bubbled, wiped rim, added lid, and process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.

I still haven't cracked open my jar yet. I am just waiting for the proper barbecue. I did give it a taste before I canned it all, and it was pretty good. In the future I think I would use 1 tsp of red chili flakes instead of the red pepper. It could use a little stronger kick.

No comments:

Post a Comment