Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Clementine Marmalade

I got a big bag of Clementines that were left over from school lunch. I have been trying to think of interesting things to make with them, so I decided to make some simple marmalade. It came out really well, but it should be noted that clementines are VERY strong in flavor, some people may find it over powering.

Ingredients:
8 Clementines, washed.
2 cups Clementine Peel
1/3 Lemon Juice
3 cups Sugar
Water

First wash the clementines and remove the peel. Slice thinly. You should have about 2 cups peels. Boil this for about 30 minutes or until soft. Strain and set aside.





Put the clementine fruit in a blender and blend until smooth.

Combine:
2 cups Boiled Peels
2 cups of blended clementine pulp
2 cups Water
3 cups Sugar
1/3 cup Lemon Juice


Bring to a boil and cook until the marmalade hits 220 degrees, or the pectin activates.
Process in a water bath canner for 10 minutes.
 
This should yield about four jars of marmalade.

This clementine marmalade has a very strong flavor. I think in the future I will boil the skins longer and wash more thoroughly before using.

3 comments:

  1. I wonder how this would work with a couple of Myer lemons in the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would probably be better that way. The skins add a strong pithy taste that I'd like to get rid of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it looks like its a lot easier to make marmalade than I imagined it would be. At least, not very many steps!

    ReplyDelete