Monday, April 28, 2014

Munton's Yorkshire Bitter Brew


I recently bottled my Black Rock lager brew, so that means its time to start my next batch!

This time I ordered Munton's Connoisseurs Yorkshire Bitter. I have never actually had bitter before so its going to be difficult to tell if my beer comes out well or not.


I did my brew according to the kit instructions. I used regular sugar since I still haven't gotten around to buying any corn sugar.

Unlike my first brew, my black rock, this time I pitched the yeast at 26 degrees. It wasn't as quick to start, but once it got started it went crazy.

The kit is designed for 23L, but since my tank can hold, when completely fully, only 24L I ended up with a final volume of 22L. Even with 2L of headroom the yeast went crazy and I got some crazy blowout from my air lock.

I went down to the local Homac and bought some tubing and fit one end into my bung and the other into a can of sanitizer. The brew went crazy for two days. Now it has settled down (day 3) and I am back to using my air lock.

The yeast seems much more active than the black rock kit.

My second time around was much easier than my first. I already had my sanitizer mixed up and so the whole process took me less than an hour to get it started.

No comments:

Post a Comment